Year in Review
Welcome to the 2022 Baystate Health Annual Report.
We express our gratitude to the entire Baystate Health team and share highlights of a year of accomplishments as we work to support our charitable mission while fulfilling our promise of advancing care and enhancing lives.
Baystate Health (BH) entered 2022 during a relative lull in the COVID-19 pandemic. This was soon followed by its most critical phase – the emergence of the Omicron strain, which was able to cause breakthrough infections in vaccinated individuals. Inpatient cases at BH spiked to a record high of 320, leading to a shutdown of elective procedures, opening of surge spaces, redeployment of employees, and absences in the hundreds due to illness of team members. As cases settled down to lower levels in the spring, a new Omicron strain (BA.5) emerged that would keep case levels in the 70-90 range for the rest of the year.
Cases became milder and new weapons against the virus – effective oral antivirals and booster vaccines – became the mainstays of the BH response. Capacity challenges which began with Omicron in January did not abate for the rest of the year and all areas of the clinical system were stressed.
Through it all, our team members gathered, gaining strength as “One Baystate Rising” to focus on rediscovering their purpose, dedicated to our mission to improve the health of the people in our communities every day, with quality and compassion.
We invite you to look back at 2022 and explore our Annual Report through its chapters:
- COVID-19: learn how Baystate Health continued to lead the way, providing critical care through the emergence of the Omicron strain.
- Highlights: in the areas of quality, safety, experience, academic innovation, best place to work, and community connections.
- Awards: national recognitions for the quality of Baystate Health’s programs and services.
- Team Member Stories: employees share their personal Baystate Health stories.
- Financials: a letter from our CFO, and Baystate Health’s financial statements, graphs, and auditor’s report.
- About Us: more about our leadership and Baystate Health entities.
As Baystate Health emerges into a new normal in which COVID-19 will be present at low levels and labor will remain scarce, the focus of the system will be on rebuilding its core strengths and developing a workforce culture that will make the system a workplace of choice in our region. We remain optimistic that our plans for recovery and re-emergence as a stronger organization are built on a strong foundation of learning, innovation, inclusion, and commitment to the communities we serve.
Thank you for your continued support and interest in our health system.
With profound gratitude,
Mark A. Keroack, MD, MPH
President & Chief Executive Officer,
Robert J. Bacon
Chair, Baystate Health Board of Trustees